Saturday 19 May 2012

Ram Gopal Varma is my best friend: Nathalia Kaur


Ram Gopal Varma and Brazilian model-turned-actress Natalia Kaur were in the city for the premiere of the much-talked about multi-starrer film Department. We caught up with them for a chat about the movie and their experience of working together.
Ram Gopal Varma and Brazilian model-turned-actress Natalia Kaur were in the city for the premiere of the much-talked about multi-starrer  ecial film for me for two reasons; it’s a genre I’ve not attempted before in terms of it being highly stylised, and the characters are larger than life. We have used graphic treatments in terms of camera angles and lens.”
How did a model from Brazil get involved in this film starring big names from Bollywood and Tollywood?
Natalia explained, “I’d seen a lot of RGV’s films but I had never met him. One day, it was raining and I rushed into a hotel. A man caught me and asked for my portfolio, and even though I was wondering who he was I gave it to him. He looked at all my pictures for 20 minutes and then asked me if I would work in a film. Later, my assistant told me that he was RGV and I was shocked!”
On working with a mixed star cast from Telugu and Hindi cinema, the director said, “I don’t see any difference between them. I’m basically from here so I understand how the actors in the South are, and of course, since I live in Mumbai I know the people there too.”
About Madhushalini’s role, he added, “Her negative role is very interesting and one of the best characters that I have ever created of a female gangster.”
On her experience of working with RGV, Natalia who is also a trained opera singer, said, “RGV was more excited than me while we were shooting the Cheeni song. His eyes sparkled while talking about it; he even sang the song and introduced it to me. He is a very good man; he always says he doesn’t have friends but he should know that he is my best friend.”
There were allegations that the director of the film promoted Natalia over the other female actors in his film, to which Ramu said, “That’s not true. Department is an action film and there is only so much women can do or will do. The idea was to promote the core of the film rather than anything else.”
On being asked whether the other actresses are miffed with Natalia for hogging the limelight in the film promotions, she responded, “I have no clue; I met Madhushalini for the first time at the press meet held and I’ve not met Lakshmi yet.”

No comments:

Post a Comment